CCAIL is a team of healthcare providers working in the community to help people access funding for certain medical supplies, aids and equipment, when covered by the Alberta Government's Aids to Daily Living program (AADL). Clients are typically seen on a First Come, First Served basis, as their short-term / interim needs are expected to be met through other programs or processes.
Following AADL eligibility criteria, AHS' Calgary Community Aids for Independent Living (CCAIL) team provides clinical assessment for the following basic medical equipment and supplies, when required for long-term needs:
- mobility and transfer aids (e.g. walkers, wheelchairs, bedrails, poles)
- bathroom equipment (e.g. raised toilet seats, commodes, shower seats, wall bars)
- compression stockings and hernia supports
- incontinence supplies (e.g. briefs, pull-ups, liners, catheters)
Please note: Clients who have recently sustained injury, received and or have a planned surgical intervention, or are undergoing active rehabilitation, are not AADL eligible for at least six months and should not be referred to CCAIL.
Referral sources should consider short-term equipment loans or rental options through other programs, until long term need has been demonstrated.
Certain AADL supplies (e.g. ostomy, respiratory, hearing aids) are assessed through other programs.
Please refer to AADL website for more details.
CCAIL is NOT the appropriate program if the client:
- does not have a valid Personal Health Number
- lives outside the city limits (call Community Care Access)
- currently on Home Care (contact Home Care)
- resides in long-term care or designated supportive living
- equipment / supply needed for less than 6 months
- has Treaty Status (contact NIHB)
- has private insurance with 100% coverage
CCAIL does not provide assessment for the following:
- diabetic or ostomy supplies, hearing aids, knee / ankle braces, foot orthotics
- home modifications / renovations or porch / stair lifts
- falls prevention, general home safety or kitchen safety
- active rehabilitation treatment, incl. home exercise programs