Orange Banana Muffins
Eating foods with fibre is an important part of a healthy diet. This recipe uses whole wheat flour and fruit, which are good sources of fibre!
1 cup Whole wheat flour 250 mL
1 cup All purpose flour 250 mL
¼ cup Wheat bran 60 mL
1 tsp Baking soda 5 mL
1 tsp Baking powder 5 mL
¼ tsp Salt 1 mL
1 cup Bananas, mashed 250 mL
½ cup Orange juice concentrate 125 mL
¼ cup Brown sugar 60 mL
¼ cup Canola oil 60 mL
¼ cup 1% milk 60 mL
1 large Egg
Non-stick cooking spray 1 large
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
2. Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper muffin liners.
3. In a bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, wheat bran, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. In another bowl, stir together bananas, orange juice concentrate, brown sugar, oil, milk and egg.
5. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just until mixed.
6. Spoon batter into muffin tins.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 20–25 minutes or until muffins are firm to touch and golden.
Makes 12 muffins (61 g)
Source: developed by Julie Van Rosendaal for Apple Magazine, Alberta Health Services’ health and wellness magazine. Photo credit: Apple magazine/AHS.
Per Serving: 170 calories, 5 g fat, (0.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 190 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g protein, 2 g fibre.