Alberta municipalities are both committed, and well-positioned, to create vibrant communities where Albertans can thrive. Evidence shows that through the development of preventative alcohol policies, municipalities can realize a host of benefits.
Municipalities across Canada are taking steps to improve the well-being of their citizens and communities through alcohol policy development.
Resources have been made available to:
- Create awareness about the effectiveness of municipal alcohol policy as a key tool to reduce alcohol-related harm, and the alcohol policy options that are under municipal jurisdiction in Alberta.
- Increase the number of, or effectiveness of existing, municipal alcohol policies in Alberta
- Promote safer alcohol consumption in Alberta
- Reduce alcohol-related harm in Alberta municipalities
Alcohol Policy for Community Safety, Vibrancy, Health and Well-Being
A Practical Guide for Alberta Municipalities
This guide offers:
- the rationale for municipalities to address alcohol-related harms through policy
- tips on identifying alcohol policy champions
- ideas about how to create and sustain partnerships
- steps to consider in municipal alcohol policy development
- implementation options for six evidence-informed alcohol policy areas, including:
- Regulating alcohol availability
- Density and distance between alcohol establishments
- Hours of operation of alcohol establishments
- Controlling alcohol pricing
- Ensuring safer drinking environments and safer communities
- Limiting alcohol marketing, advertising and sponsorship
- Preventing and reducing drinking and driving
- Advocating for preventative alcohol policy at the provincial or federal level
- introduce you to the content of the guide
- answer questions relevant to your municipality's interest or readiness for this type of policy work
- outline a book club and initial local consult process for determining how best to move forward
- connect you with other municipalities working to reduce alcohol-related harms
Support is available throughout the year to Alberta municipalities of all sizes.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org