May 1, 2015
During Mental Health Week, May 4-10, Alberta Health Services (AHS) is encouraging Albertans to participate in the Ways to Wellness Challenge and do something daily for positive mental health.
Every day throughout Mental Health Week, AHS will remind Albertans of simple steps to improve their mental health and wellness. Albertans can follow along and tell us what they are doing for their mental health and well-being through:
The daily reminders are:
Day 1 – Eat healthy foods
- What healthy foods did you eat today? Post your healthy snack or recipe.
Day 2 – Get active
- Did you get moving today? Post creative ways you fit exercise into your day.
Day 3 – Be kind
- What act of kindness did you do today? Post how you made someone smile.
Day 4 – Practise gratitude
- Look for the good in your day. What are you thankful for today?
Day 5 – Be yourself
- Tell us what you like about yourself or share a picture of your amazing self.
Day 6 – Get your groove on
- Tune in. Share a song that helps you relax and feel joyful.
Day 7 – Laugh
- Tell us what you did today to bring humour and laughter into your day.
Each year, more than 500,000 Albertans visit a doctor about their mental health. Taking care of your health means taking care of your mind, too. Engaging in physical activity, eating healthy foods, practising gratitude and having fun are all small steps that can improve your mental health and help to reduce stress. Visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ju2G3KtKNA to learn more about Ways to Wellness.
For more information on AHS’s Mental Health Week Ways to Wellness Challenge visit: http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/9909.asp .
If you need help or support, call the Mental Health Helpline, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 1-877-303-2642 or visit www.albertahealthservices.ca.
Alberta Health Services is the provincial health authority responsible for planning and delivering health supports and services for more than four million adults and children living in Alberta. Its mission is to provide a patient-focused, quality health system that is accessible and sustainable for all Albertans.
- 30 -