Volunteers at Foothills Medical Centre (FMC) aim to help patients, family members and visitors in the following ways:
- Wayfinders – help welcome patients, families and visitors to the site, and help them find their destination within the facility.
- Emergency – act as ambassadors of the hospitalto minimize stress and provide comfort while keeping patient- and family-centered care in mind. Volunteers are also a key part of ensuring that patient traffic flows smoothly.
- Friendly Visiting – assist staff and physicians by providing a socially stimulating environment for patients.
- Gift Shop Staff – create and maintain an oasis of fun and imaginative merchandise, providing a brief escape from hospital issues along with a fun and imaginative shopping experience.
- Tom Baker Medical Day Support Volunteers – assist in supporting patients and their families in the Medical Day Program through conversation, coffee and cookies.
Become a Volunteer
As important members of the health care team, Foothills Medical Centre volunteers extend and enhance the quality of care and service provided by our Alberta Health Services staff.
All volunteers are asked to make a minimum commitment to the hospital for one year, coming in once a week for a set shift. Shifts are typically three to four hours in length. The screening process includes an interview, police security check, communicable disease scan and reference checks.
We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
- Wayfinders (available during the day)
- Friendly Visitors
- Gift Shop Cashier, Merchandiser/Display Volunteers
Apply online to become a volunteer or contact email@example.com.