Publicly Funded & Private for Purchase Care Services

Continuing Care

Alberta Continuing Care Act Effective April 1, 2024

References to continuing care (including home care, designated supportive living, long term care and hospice) may not reflect the updated language or terms found in the new Alberta Continuing Care Act effective April 1, 2024. Refer to the Continuing Care Glossary for definitions.

Albertans can access publicly funded services by working with an AHS Case Manager; private for purchase services are arranged and paid for by the individual.

It is also possible to arrange a combination of public and private services to ensure all of your needs are met.

man in wheelchair with young boy

What is publicly-funded care?

When health and personal care services, as well as living options, are accessed through AHS, this is called publicly funded care.  An AHS Case Manager works with you to assess your health needs, such as medication management or physical therapy, and your personal care needs, such as bathing. They then arrange services through care providers with AHS Home & Community Care. All home & community care services provided through AHS Home Care are paid for by AHS.

An assessment may show that your needs can not be safely met in your own home. In this case, the Case Manager may recommend a move to a Continuing Care Home

In a Continuing Care Home Type A (formerly Long Term Care), your health and personal care needs are provided by staff who work on site full time.

In a Continuing Care Home type B (formerly Designated Supportive Living), your health and personal care needs are provided by AHS Home & Community Care staff who come to the site according to the schedule developed with your Case Manager. Home & Community Care services are paid for by AHS. The cost for accommodation is paid for by the individual, and these rates are set by the Government of Alberta (more information about accommodation rates).

What is private for purchase care?

In Alberta, there are a number of businesses providing continuing care services that you may choose to arrange and pay for yourself. As well, there are privately run Supportive Living Accommodation sites that provide Supportive Living services. Private care facilities can be accessed without working with an AHS case manager. Individuals contact the site directly, and all fees for health and personal care services and accommodation are paid for by the individual. Fees are set by the operator. 

Can I receive both publicly funded and private for purchase services?

Yes. You may choose to supplement services you receive through AHS Home & Community Care with those you pay for yourself. Some people choose to pay for personal and/or health care services while living in a Continuing Care Home, just as they would have in their own residence. As well, you can still receive publicly funded home care services through AHS while in a privately run facility. Your case manager will work with you to find the best options that suit you and your assessed needs, whether that is private, public, community resources or a mix.

For more information, call Health Link by dialling 811 or email