Accessing Continuing Care

Continuing Care

Getting Started

Requesting assessment for continuing care services can be initiated by ANYONE.

If you or anyone you know needs some help or assistance with daily tasks (getting dressed, taking a shower or bath, relief for a caregiver) or is having difficulty living alone (difficulty walking by themselves, struggling with activities that require memory or judgement), you can request more information from:

  • Your family doctor, or Primary Care Network (PCN) office
  • Your nurse/care team. If you are hospitalized, transition services or discharge planning may support you with accessing continuing care
  • A community health care provider (pharmacist, physiotherapist, paramedic), or

You can contact continuing care directly through your local Continuing Care Access Centre:

Select the zone you live in from the list below.

*The links will take you to a new page and the contact details are located to the right hand side.

*Not sure what zone you reside in, go to the Zone Map

*If you do not currently reside in Alberta, but are inquiring about access to care in Alberta, contact any Continuing Care Access Centre for support.

Before Reaching Out

  • Have your healthcare card number, address, and contact information ready.
  • If you are requesting continuing care services on someone else’s behalf ensure that you have contact information of the individual needing continuing care services.

After Reaching Out

  • You will be connected with an individual that will gather your information and answer any questions you have about continuing care services.
  • You may be assigned a Case Manager and scheduled for an assessment and/or provided with contact information for additional community services.

Identifying Your Care Needs

A continuing care Case Manager will meet with you and will complete an assessment to determine your healthcare needs. This may include determining what additional services are needed for you to remain as independent as possible in your home.

You will be actively involved in the assessment, meaning you will have the opportunity to tell your Case Manager anything you think is important, as well as ask any questions you may have. If you live at home, this assessment will be done in your home. Assessment at home is the best option to determine your care needs - Together, let’s get you home: Assessing at home for continuing care services - YouTube. If you are in hospital, and are not yet able to go home for your assessment, the assessment will be completed by a member of the healthcare team (e.g., transition services, discharge coordinator).

After this assessment is complete, your Case Manager will discuss with you the level of care best suited to your needs. There are different continuing care options that can provide all the services you need, with as much independence as your abilities will allow. For more on Continuing Care, please visit: What is Continuing Care?

Charges & Fees

The ability to pay will not be a barrier to accessing continuing care services. Alberta Health Services has made a commitment to ensure Alberta seniors and adults with disabilities receive the care and services they require to support wellness and independence as they age.

Home care services are provided as part of Alberta Health Care, however there may be additional service fees charged for home making, medical supplies, equipment or day programs.

Accommodation charges for designated supportive living and long-term care facilities are set by the Government of Alberta.

Accommodation charges for other living options (private licensed supportive living, lodge) may be set by the site/operator or may be based on your income. See Affordable housing programs for more information.