Discharge From the Protective Safe House

Protection of Children Using Drugs (PChAD) Program

As the parent/guardian, you are responsible for making arrangements for your child to be picked up from the Protective Safe House (PSH) at the time they are discharged. If you are unable to pick up your child, you must arrange for another designated adult to pick them up instead. You must also inform PSH staff of the name of the designated adult ahead of time.

What treatment options are available to my child after they are discharged?

Alberta Health Services’ Addiction & Mental Health provides a range of programs, and staff will discuss these programs with you. Each program or treatment option has both benefits and limits.

Most treatment options are voluntary. This means that your child and family must agree to participate. Voluntary treatment options include things such as: day treatment, longer-term residential treatment, group and individual counselling.

Who can I contact if I have questions?

If you have questions while your child is in the PSH, you can contact the PSH and ask to speak with your child’s addiction counsellor or one of the other counselling staff members.

If you have questions about accessing other treatment options and resources you can call the 24-hour addiction help line, at 1-866-332-2322.

If you have questions, specifically about the PChAD program, you may call 1-888-844-5395.

Can my child access the PChAD program again after they have been discharged?

Yes. There is no limit to the number of times a person can apply through the courts for a new PChAD Protection Order to access the Protection of Children Abusing Drugs (PChAD) program. The same process applies for each application. Attending a pre-application information session is always the first step. For more information visit PChad 101.

Parent services

For more information about addiction for families visit Addiction & Mental Health.