Service Description / Contact Information
- Pre-Operative Anesthesia Clinic
For Your Appointment
- Your child’s provincial healthcare card
- Guardianship papers for the child (if applicable)
- A list of all the medicines that your child takes. This includes over the counter medicines like vitamins and herbal supplements. If you need help with the list, you can ask your pharmacy for a printout or use Medication Lists and Tools.
- Books, games, and other items to keep your child busy while you wait
- Any personal item that your child may need during the appointment
- If you bring other children, try to bring another adult with you
- A list of questions for the anesthesiologist
- A pen and paper or mobile device to record any information/instructions during the appointment
Take the main elevators up to the 3rd floor. The Pre-Operative Anesthesia Clinic is located in the Surgery Clinic.
What to Expect
At your child’s appointment, a nurse and anesthesiologist will:
- Talk to you about what to expect on the day of surgery and how to get your child ready for surgery
- Do a brief physical exam
- Take your child’s height, weight, blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, breathing rate, and oxygen level
- Ask you about medicines that your child takes
- Let you know if your child needs any tests before the surgery
- Answer any questions and talk to you about any concerns that you have.
- Discuss an anesthetic plan, risks and pain control options