The Provincial Mobile Addiction Outreach (PMAO) is an integrated model of mobile and outreach services for street-involved individuals. The PMAO serves youth and adults negatively affected by substance use. It includes providing services to the underserved street-involved and homeless population who are disengaged from support networks. As these individuals do not usually access traditional addiction services, partnerships between community organizations already serving this population are required to connect these individuals to alternative service supports to address their unique needs.
The primary goals for agencies contracted through the Provincial Mobile Addiction Outreach are:
- To provide addiction services to street-involved individuals engaged in harmful use of substances.
- To meet clients “where they are at” by providing services in informal settings and in an environment where they feel safe.
- To provide screening, assessment, brief interventions, and referrals to other addiction services.
- To increase the capacity of community agencies in the treatment of addiction and knowledge of referral sources through opportunities for consultation and training.
Mobile Addiction Outreach Initiatives contracted service providers are:
- Boyle Street Community Services Mobile Outreach Addiction Team, Edmonton
- Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Mobile Addictions Outreach, Grande Prairie
- McMan Youth, Family and Community Services Association Mobile Addiction, Lethbridge
- McMan Youth, Family and Community Services Association Mobile Addiction, Medicine Hat
- The Alex Youth Health Centre Mobile Addiction Outreach Initiative, Calgary
- The Mustard Seed SeedReach, Calgary
- Turning Point NightReach, Red Deer