Frequently Asked Questions

I’m not sure if I’m ready for continuing care. How will I know when the time is right?

If you are living in the community and having difficulty managing, you may be ready to access continuing care services and supports. The first step is to get a case manager. No referral is necessary. Contact Health Link by dialling 811 or email to get started.

If you’re in hospital, a transition coordinator will work with you to determine if you can return home.

I think my aging parents need some help at home. What should I do?

If you are advocating for a parent or loved one, you can contact us on their behalf. No referral is necessary - anyone can initiate the process. The first step is to have a case manager assigned to your loved one to begin an assessment. Contact Health Link by dialing 811 or email to get started.

I have an issue with the care my parent is receiving in a continuing care facility. What can I do?

The first step is to raise any issues or concerns with a member of the care team or a manager at the site. It is the responsibility of the facility to inform your parent, the family, and any legal representation how to make a concern known and to whom, and the facilities process for responding to concerns upon the commencement of services or admission to a publicly funded supportive living or long-term care facility.

If you are not satisfied with the response or you are not comfortable speaking to a member of the care team or a manager at the site, please contact AHS Patient Relations by telephone, fax, mail or online. Someone will get back to you within three business days to assist with your concern.

Tel: 1-855-550-2555
Fax: 1-877-871-4340
c/o Patient Relations
10030 107 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 3E4
This is a mailing address only. Those who show up in person will not be seen.

How do I find a continuing care facility in my area?

The first step is to get a case manager. No referral is necessary. Contact Health Link by dialling 811 or email to get started.

Once you are assigned a case manager, they will assess your needs and make a determination on the services you require. You are encouraged to participate in decisions regarding your care and ask questions about the assessment, continuing care settings, waitlist and transition processes.

The case manager will facilitate communication among care providers, any necessary transitions, and make sure your needs and goals of care will be met. They will also provide a list of all appropriate living options that meet your preferences and assessed needs, information about the sites and, if possible, who to contact to tour potential sites (including using virtual tours where available). Visit our Facility Locator to view possible facilities online.

For more information please see the Designated Living Option: Access and Waitlist Management in Continuing Care Procedure.

I want to make sure I am close to my family. How do I get into the facility I want?

The case manager will provide you with a list of all appropriate living options that meet your preferences and assessed needs. You will be asked to specify one or more of your preferred site(s) from the available options listed by your case manager.

A number of considerations will be taken into account by yourself and your case manager when looking for appropriate options, including: preserving spousal/partner relationships; geographical distance and/or location; cultural, linguistic and/or religious preferences; availability of social supports; and wait times, services available and costs for specific sites.

Once your preferred site(s) have been chosen you will be waitlisted. If the site has availability, you will be offered a position based on the waitlist prioritization criteria. If your preferred site(s) have no space available, you may be offered a temporary option to meet your current needs. You are encouraged to accept a temporary location until your preferred site becomes available. This will not affect your position on the waitlist and when your preferred site(s) become available your case manager will help you to seamlessly transition to your new home.

My family/support system lives in another part of Alberta and I would like to be closer to them. Can I choose a facility near them?

Yes, it is possible to choose a site in other areas in Alberta. Your case manager will help you to negotiate this process.

I want to stay in my home. What supports are available to help me?

Home care services can help support you to stay in your home for as long as possible. A variety of services are available based on your needs. Some supports available are personal care and bathing. Contact Health Link by dialing 811 or email to get started.

What is Designated Supportive Living?

Designated supportive Living provides a home environment for those who are no longer able to live in their own home, which focuses on health promotion, well-being, independence and maintaining functional abilities. Scheduled health and personal care services are provided by home care, and nursing and support staff are on site 24-hour a day.

Is there a difference between Supportive Living and Designated Supportive Living?

The primary difference between supportive living (also referred to as non-designated supportive living) and designated supportive living is that designated supportive living is a funded space through Alberta Health Services and you will work with a case manager to access care.

Who is best suited to live in a long term care facility?

Long term care is best suited to people living with chronic health problems that require the oversight of a registered nurse 24-hours a day. Long-term care may be right for you if you have:

  • Serious fluctuations in health status requiring immediate health professional assessment;
  • A need for medication management and other treatments;
  • Conditions requiring the continued presence of a Registered Nurse and the consultative availability of rehabilitation or dietary professionals;
  • Unpredictable or unstable behaviour that places yourself or others at risk;
  • Complex end of life care needs.

How do I apply for an increase to the amount of home care I am receiving?

There may come a time when your care needs increase. If you notice that everyday activities are becoming more and more difficult, it may be time to consider increasing home care services or moving to a new living option that better suits your needs.

If you already have a case manager, either through home care or in your current living option, a reassessment of your needs will be completed regularly depending on your care needs. If you feel that your health has changed and you need more support, contact your case manager.

If you do not have a case manager, contact Health Link by dialing 811 or email to get started.

What’s the difference between publicly funded and privately funded care?

In Alberta, both publicly funded and private for purchase health and personal care services are available.

Albertans can access publicly funded services by working with an AHS Case Manager. Publicly funded services such as personal care or bathing, is funded by Alberta Health Services at no cost to you. If care is being provided in a living option, accommodation fees are regulated by Alberta Health.

Private for purchase services are arranged and paid for by the individual.  Services and accommodations fees are not regulated and can vary from service to service and site to site.

It is also possible to arrange a combination of public and private services to ensure all of your needs are met.

For more information, go to Public vs. Private Care, call Health Link by dialing 811 or email