Schools of Nursing have been a fundamental part of Calgary’s hospitals. Calgary General Hospital for example, had it first probationer in its training school in 1895. The Holy Cross Hospital established its School of Nursing in 1907, and one of Calgary’s newer hospitals, Foothills, opened its School of Nursing in 1965. Over the years, transcripts from the schools of nursing have come under the care of Alberta Health Services. Nursing transcripts from these schools are held and accessed through Alberta Health Service Historic Collections.
Nursing transcripts for students located outside of the Calgary area, can be located through CARNA.
Nurses requiring a copy of their official transcript are to complete the Nursing Transcript Request Form and submit it to Records Management along with payment of $25.00 to Alberta Health Services. Records Management is only able to provide a copy of the nursing transcript and not course descriptions or hours of study.
Mail completed application form and payment to:
Records and Information Management
Health Information Management
Alberta Health Services
South Health Campus
4448 Front Street SE
Calgary, AB T3M 1M4
Attn: Nancy Pow, Records Advisor
Calgary General Hospital School of Nursing
- Extent: 6.0 centimeters of microfiche
- History: CGH School of Nursing originated in 1895 with its first probationer Miss Marion Moodie. When Miss Moodie graduated in 1898, she became the first nurse to graduate from the CGH’s training school and the first graduate nurse in Alberta. Early nursing training at the school used the apprenticeship method. This continued until 1923 when Miss Jessie Connal, Instructor of Nurses, established an organized curriculum-based system of instruction. The School of Nursing and the nurses’ residence were constructed in 1956, and when the School of Nursing officially closed in 1974, nearly 3000 nurses had graduated from it.
- Scope and Content: AHS Historic Collections house CGH School of Nursing transcripts from 1902-1974. There is no index.
Holy Cross Hospital School of Nursing
- Extent: 4.0 metres
- History: Calgary’s Holy Cross Hospital was established in 1891 by the Catholic Order of the Grey Nuns. The hospital’s School of Nursing was established in 1907, and the first class of five students graduated in 1910. Between 1910 and 1969, nearly 2000 nurses graduated from the HCH School of Nursing, and, by 1979, the last class graduated from this historic school. For more information on this facility, consult Nuns and Nightingales: A History of the Holy Cross School of Nursing 1907-1979, edited by Barbara Kwasny and published by the Alumnae Association of the Holy Cross School of Nursing in 1982.
- Scope and Content: AHS Historic Collections house HCH School of Nursing transcripts from 1944-1979.
The Foothills Hospital School of Nursing
- Extent: 14.0 metres
- History: Construction on the Foothills Hospital School of Nursing was completed in 1963, next to the Nurses’ Residence. The first class of 76 students entered the school’s three year nursing program in 1965. The last graduating class completed its studies in 1995. During its thirty years of operation, nearly 2500 students graduated from the School of Nursing’s diploma program.
- Scope and Content: AHS Historic Collections house Foothills Hospital School of Nursing transcripts from 1968-1995.