Follow the steps below to access mobile collections:
Is your patient eligible? Laboratory Services provides mobile collections to patient who meet the following eligibility criteria:
This service must be requested by an authorized care provider and patients must meet the at least one of the following eligibility criteria before a mobile collection will be performed by the laboratory.
- Patient must have had a recent hospitalization and/or surgery that temporarily restricts their travel outside the home.
- Patient has an ongoing medical restriction and is unable to attend appointments or other activities outside the home.
- Patient resides in a secured or safe living environment (e.g. Dementia Unit).
A patient is not eligible for a laboratory mobile collection if:
- The patient is a resident in a supportive or assisted living facility and participates in group activities (for example: shopping and social outings).
- The patient’s mobility has improved such that the patient is able to participate in activities such as shopping or banking excursions or going for long walks.
- Patient arranges for transportation for activities such as shopping, banking, hair appointments.
- Patient has indicated they will be returning to work or have returned to work.
- Patient is able to drive a motor vehicle, or can arrange a ride.
Reasons for refusal of the laboratory to perform a mobile collection include:
If the laboratory mobile collection service personnel find the patient is not home for the collection on two (2) instances, the service will be not be provided,
Fully complete the AHS Mobile Collection Requisition including the eligibility criteria section.
The authorized care provider must provide information to the laboratory if aware of any potential or real situations where the safety and well-being of the mobile collection personnel or the patient may be compromised. This is in accordance with AHS Workplace Health and Safety and provincial legislation. For example if any of the following conditions are known (but not limited to) this information must be disclosed and if encountered the collection will be refused or cancelled:
- Physical or verbal abuse or threatening behavior is encountered,
- Pets are not secured, kenneled or removed from collection area,
- Pest infestation is present (examples include: mice, bed bugs, scabies, lice or cockroaches),
- Unsafe areas (examples include: isolated area, poor lighting, area known for gang violence, no cell phone coverage),
- Weapons present,
- Patient injury as the result of a violent crime,
- Internal and external home environment unsafe (physical hazards for examples include: sidewalks not shoveled, poor maintenance of home),
- Chemical or biological hazards are present (examples include: patient or others are not abstaining from smoking during collection visit, animal feces, or illegal drugs present).
Submit the completed Mobile Collection Requisition according to the zone where the patient is located. The chart below provides direction for each AHS zone.
Refer to the AHS Zone Map for assistance in determining the correct zone.
||How to Access Mobile Collection
||Contact for Additional Information
FAX the completed AHS Mobile Services Collection requisition to Homecare 780-532-2477
*If homecare is unable to obtain sample (difficult draw) –Laboratory specimen procurement will be contacted at 780-538-7611.
For additional assistance call your local laboratory site.
For Home Patients – FAX the completed AHS Mobile Services Collection Requisition to 780-452-5294
For Patients in Long Term Facilities (no eligibility required) – FAX the AHS Mobile Services Collection Requisition to 780-452-5294
OR scan requisition(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org
For Long Term Facilities (no eligibility required) – FAX completed AHS Mobile Services Collection requisition(s) to 780-452-5294
OR scan requisition(s) to email@example.com
For specific Edmonton Zone assistance
and contact information visit DynaLife Home Collections www.dynalife.ca/professionals/homecollections
OR by calling 780-453-9440
For Red Deer only: Fax the completed AHS Mobile Service Collection Requisition with eligibility criteria to 403-343-4811
For additional assistance call 403-343-4749
|For Lloydminster – lodges - FAX completed AHS Mobile Services Collection Requisition to 780-452-5294 (Covered by DynaLIFE Medical Labs)
(For Lloydminster Lodges Only) contact 780-453-9440 for additional information.
All other Central Zone communities: FAX the completed AHS Mobile Service Collection Requisition with eligibility criteria to your local hospital laboratory or home care.
||Fax the completed Mobile Services Collection Requisition to 403-777-5222
For specific Calgary Zone assistance
and contact information visit http://www.calgarylabservices.com/medical-professionals/mobile-collection-service.aspx
OR by calling 403-770-3351
For Lethbridge and area: FAX the completed AHS Mobile Services Collection Requisition to 403-388-6068
For Medicine Hat and area: FAX the completed AHS Mobile Services Collection Requisition to 403-502-8284
For specific Lethbridge and area assistance,
call the Mobile Collections phone
For specific Medicine Hat and area assistance, call the Mobile Collections phone
at 403-502-8638 Extension # 3