Information for Post-Secondary Coordinators

Before a student can be placed at AHS, they must fulfill the following prerequisites. They have been established to protect our patients, staff and students.

Student Placement Agreement (SPA)

All students and Instructors participating in a student placement must be covered by a legal contract called a Student Placement Agreement (SPA). In most cases, AHS will work directly with post-secondary educational institutions to ensure the SPA is in place. To find out if your school has a SPA with AHS, please email

Students seeking a clinical student placement should apply for a placement through before pursuing a student placement agreement.

Placement Request

To apply for a placement on behalf of a student, the placement coordinator/faculty member from the school may use the Health Science Placement Network (HSPnet), or email Requests received from students directly will not be accepted.


All health care students and instructors must be immunized according to the AHS Standards. Please note that placements may be refused to students/instructors who are not compliant with this standard.

All health care students and instructors must be immunized against rubella. In addition, AHS strongly recommends immunization against:

  • tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, (DTP)
  • measles and mumps
  • varicella (chicken pox)
  • influenza

Refer to the list of Immunizations Recommended for Students to learn more.

Criminal Record Check (CRC)

Individuals participating in a student placement activity within AHS are required to complete a Criminal Record Check (CRC) and a Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS) if the individual will be in a position of trust or authority with patients or clients of AHS. The documentation should be provided to the Educational Institution for assessment and filing.

A CRC is a detailed criminal and police history, or a confirmation of the absence of any information, based on the personal information provided to the police agency when requesting the check. A VSS includes a CRC plus a search of pardoned offences of a specified nature (sexual and certain other offences against the person). Each police agency may have a slightly different procedure to obtain the information.

If a student’s CRC is “non-clear,” the educational institution must submit an AHS Security Screening Adjudication Intake Form to to request a risk assessment.

Canadian and out of country students studying abroad must email to request a risk assessment.

If you have further questions please refer to the following documents:

Confidentiality Agreement

AHS requires that ALL students complete Confidentiality Training and sign a confidentiality agreement prior to participating in a placement.

Confidentiality training includes watching a video and then completing the online learning module. Submit the signed confidentiality and user agreement to your educational institution representative.

Harassment and Violence Training

AHS requires that ALL students and nursing instructors complete the Required Organizational Learning: Respectful Workplaces and Prevention of Harassment and Violence Policy course prior to starting in a placement.

Students should print out the completion certificate found at the end of the module and submit it to their post-secondary institution who will validate the pre-requisite has been met.

Review the Student Placement FAQ for more information.

Questions? Email