Well on Your Way

Part of being independent is being able to travel and get to medical appointments on your own. There are many ways to do this. You can take public transit, book a transportation service designed for people with disabilities or drive yourself.
To learn more about public transit or transportation services for people with disabilities in your area, visit our Resources section.

Getting Your Driver's License

You are responsible for making sure that you are always able to drive safely. If you have a medical or physical condition that could affect your ability to drive, there are extra steps to getting a driver’s license.

Alberta law says you must report any medical or physical condition that could affect your ability to drive. To learn more about this, go to Report a driver fitness concern.

  • Check out medical conditions that can affect safe driving.
  • You may have to have a Medical Examination Form filled out by your doctor before getting your learner or driver’s license. These forms are available in most doctor offices or at any Alberta registry agent. Your doctor may charge a fee to fill out this form.
  • Your healthcare provider may also refer you for a pre-driving assessment if they have concerns about your medical fitness to drive.
  • Ask your doctor, nurse practitioner, or chronic disease clinic if you need an assessment to decide your fitness to drive.
  • If you need a pre-driving assessment, the following options are available through Alberta Health Services:
  • Ask your healthcare provider for tips about how to stay safe while driving (e.g., if you have diabetes, checking your blood sugar level before driving).

It can be disappointing to find out that driving is not going to be an option for you. Reach out for support if you need it, but remember that this is for your own safety and the safety of others.

AHS Parking

If you plan to drive to medical appointments, it is important to know where you can park and how much parking will cost. To learn more, go to Alberta Health Services (AHS) parking. Some important things to know:

  • Some AHS sites offer weekly or monthly passes.
  • Subsidized or reduced parking rates may be available for those who qualify. Your nurse, social worker, or healthcare provider will have to authorize that you qualify.

To learn more, email the AHS parking office at

Disability Parking

If you have a disability and need to park in a stall closer to the entrance, you can apply to the Government of Alberta for a parking placard.