Comprehensive School Health
Comprehensive School Health (CSH) is an internationally recognized approach to building healthy school communities. We know that it can improve health and education outcomes in children 6 to 18 years.
Health Promotion Coordinators support Alberta school boards in using the CSH approach to improve healthy eating, active living, and positive mental health.
The team works with school boards to:
- help determine needs and develop action plans
- support school health teams and school board staff
- support the development and implementation of health and wellness policies
- promote the use of the Alberta Nutrition Guidelines for Children and Youth
- offer professional development and health and wellness resources
- build community connections
- support schools to get funding for health programs or projects
- create, evaluate, and distribute resources
Process for Building Healthy School Communities using the Components of Comprehensive School Health (Adapted from the Alberta Healthy School Community Wellness Fund)