Coming to the Stollery

Child's Care Team

There are many health care professionals with special skills who will care for your child while he or she is in the hospital. Some of these people are:


You may meet many different types of doctors such as:

Doctors training to be a specialist such as a cardiologist or neonatologist. Fellows have completed both medical school and residency training.

Doctors with special training in the care of critically ill infants, children and adolescents, who care for patients in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

Doctors with special training in diagnosing and caring for critically ill and premature newborns, who care for patients in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

Doctors with special training in the care of children from birth to 16 years of age. If you do not already have a pediatrician, you can be referred to one before your child's discharge date.

Doctors who have graduated from medical school and are training in a specialty program of medicine like pediatrics or surgery. Residents rotate through the patient care units spending about a month in each location. They provide care to your child under the supervision of a pediatrician or specialist.


Doctors with special training in a specific area of child health medicine. Specialists include:

Doctors who diagnose and treat heart problems.

Doctors who diagnose and treat children with cancer.

General Surgeon
Doctors who diagnose and treat chest and abdomen problems.


You may meet many different types of nurses such as:

Clinical Nurse Educator
Experienced nurses who are responsible for education needs of new nurses. They also work with staff on the unit to maintain clinical competence and professional development.

Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
Registered nurses with a master's degree who act in a clinical, educational, research, and leadership role to promote optimal nursing care. The CNS can be involved in consultation, direct patient care, and program development.

Nurse Practitioners (NP)
Learn more...

Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
Learn more....

Registered Nurse (RN)
Learn more...

Other Health Professionals

There are many other types of people that you may meet while in the hospital:

Learn more...

Child Life Therapist
Professionals educated in psychology, child development and related fields who provide psychosocial care to hospitalized infants, children, youth, and their families. They soothe fears, and help kids and their parents cope with stress through therapeutic play, education, and self-expression.

Dietitians are responsible for ensuring that your child's nutritional needs are met while in hospital.

Extracorporeal Life Support (ECLS) Team
Physicians, nurses, and respiratory therapists specially trained on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO), a specialized heart-lung bypass procedure that works as the child's heart and lungs.

Home Care Children's Services
Registered nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, social workers, and respiratory therapists who care for children in their homes after hospitalization. If your child has home care needs at the time of discharge, plans will be made for the Home Care case coordinator to meet with you.

Lab Tech
Technician trained in the collection and processing of blood samples and other specimens used to assist in diagnosing and monitoring a patient's condition.

Lactation Consultant
Assists with breastfeeding, and helps new moms establish and maintain their milk supply while their infants are in hospital.

Occupational Therapist
Learn more...

Pediatric Aide
Pediatric aides stock supplies and linen, and perform other duties to assist registered nurses.

Pharmacists assist doctors in choosing and monitoring your child's medicines. They also provide you with information and instructions if your child is sent home on medication.

Learn more...

Learn more....

Respiratory Therapist
Learn more...

School Teachers
Edmonton Public School teachers in our school classrooms at the Stollery help your child keep up-to-date with schoolwork.

Social Worker
Learn more...

Speech Language Pathologist
Learn more...

Transport Team
Physicians, nurses and respiratory therapists who are experts in the care and treatment of children who have to be transported (by road or by air) to the Stollery Emergency department, NICU or PICU from another region. When they are waiting to be called for a transport ('on-call'), these team members function in the intensive care units as senior resource staff with specialized skills and abilities.

Learn more...

Management and Administrative staff

You may meet many different types of managers and helpers such as:

Patient Care Manager
Health care professionals with advanced education and management experience who provide overall administration and day-to-day management of the unit or clinic and its team of health care providers. Patient care managers are responsible for planning, allocating and managing physical, human and fiscal resources.

Unit Manager
Unit managers coordinate the day-to-day activities on the nursing unit. They are the link between the medical team and families in our care.

Unit Clerk
Unit clerks provide clerical support to the unit. They are the first person you are in contact with when you call or arrive at the nursing unit.