Social work is a helping profession. A social worker assists patients and their families with navigating systems that provide resources and services. A clinical social worker will counsel patients and their families to cope with their unique situation. They will be involved in a patient’s care plan or discharge plan.
What do social workers do?
- Connect patients with community supports and resources
- Empower patients to cope and problem solve during or after injury, disease or illness
- Seek to improve a patient’s quality of life and well-being
- Counsel patients and their families
Where do social workers work?
- Community clinics
- Home care
- Hospitals or health care centres
- Long-term care facilities
Social workers at AHSAlberta Health Services employs over 1,200 social workers.
What are the credentials of a social worker?