A psychologist works with patients and families to help them understand, explain and make changes to their behaviour so they can function at their best. They help patients and their families adjust to new or difficult situations. A psychologist may also test for psychological features or conditions, and provide diagnosis or treatment recommendations.
What do psychologists do?
- Assess, diagnose and treat a range of problems, conditions and disorders
- Provide therapy or counselling
- Perform psychological assessments and make treatment recommendations
- Help patients cope with pain, difficult situations, chronic conditions or illness
- Promote mental wellness
Where do psychologists work?
- Hospitals or health care centres
- Mental health facilities or community clinics
- Primary care or specialty clinics
Psychologists at AHS
Alberta Health Services employs approximately 490 psychologists.
What are the credentials for a psychologist?