Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre (RDRHC) Redevelopment
- AHS remains committed to working to improve services and enhance healthcare delivery in Red Deer. We are working closely with our Government partners – Alberta Health and Alberta Infrastructure – on the redevelopment of Red Deer Regional Hospital Centre (RDRHC).
- The redevelopment of RDRHC is led by Government, with AHS input into the care and service delivery models.
- The expansion will include a new inpatient tower, and extensive renovations to the existing building. There will be 200 new in-patient beds added, increasing hospital capacity from 370 beds to 570 beds.
- Renovations to the existing building will be completed in a phased manner in order to maintain clinical operations.
- The expansion also provides for six new operating rooms (ORs), which result in an increase to 17 ORs from the current 11 ORs once they are all developed.
- Other key areas of redevelopment include expansion of the medical device reprocessing department and development of two cardiac catheterization labs.
- A new building will also be constructed south of the surface parkade to support ambulatory care services where medical services can be performed without requiring patients being admitted to the hospital.
- This particular build is unique in that it is not a completely new build and hospital operations will continue throughout the project. We are taking steps to ensure that capacity issues are addressed and to avoid as much disruption to current services as possible.
- The design phase on RDRHC redevelopment project is now underway.
- Functional programming – including physical space, equipment and staffing needs – to support expansion was completed spring 2023.
- Funding for the redevelopment project was announced by Government in February, 2022 (Red Deer Hospital Announcement). The total cost is estimated at $1.6 billion - the largest hospital redevelopment project in Alberta’s history.
- The business case was completed in late 2021.
- Functional programming, which looked at finalizing the resources – including physical space, equipment and staffing needs – to support expansion was submitted for sign-off in March 2023.